Thursday, February 24, 2011

Climbing On My Soapbox

Yesterday I reposted Keiko's call for action.  And it felt GOOD.  Here I sit in my recliner, watching the world go by while I focus on my very important incubating task (no sarcasm, I promise).  I have been watching the world go up in flames.  And I feel those flames burning inside me.

Just because I am in this chair doesn't mean I can't do anything.  In the last 2 weeks I have watched FB transform from a hotbed of social networking to a hotbed of grassroots organization.  I have watched Egypt regain it's freedom, and other countries fight for theirs.  I have reposted articles, I have cheered on my friends in WI as they fight for worker's rights, and I have wept for the lives lost in struggle.

When I originally sat down to write this post, I was going to write about Planned Parenthood, about Worker's Rights, about their origins, and what opponents may say.  I had a veritable essay in my mind, complete with sources, media, the whole nine yards.  I had Rosie the Riveter rising up inside me, ready to stand tall and do battle.  I could defend any number of causes right now. 

But you all know I am liberal.  You know where I stand.  And I don't need to argue that here.  That's why I reposted Keiko's post.  Because that's what I can do.  And you know what?  That's what YOU can do, too. 

Whatever side you fall on, put it out there.  Post articles.  Hell, call Ian's Pizza and buy some pizza for the protestors camped out in the rotunda in Madison.  We have all this media available to us in a way that has never existed before.  In the past, during the fight for suffrage, or for civil rights, gay rights, all of it, word of mouth was KING.  Phone calls got it done.  Now we can reach THE WORLD from our keyboards. 

So don't feel that you need to stand idly by while our world heats up.  Show your support any way you can.  Use the resources we have!  Sign letters that are available (easy to do on many sites)!  Go to rallies in your state supporting others.  Or, simply, spread the word wherever you can. 

The world is on fire, my friends, and not just in far off places we cannot even imagine.  Right here.  In our own backyards.  The time is here, the future is ours.  We can make a difference.

3 comments:

Whip me, beat me, take away my charge card. Or just leave a comment. Whichever works best for you :)