Saturday, January 22, 2011

27w0d - 3rd Trimester!

Before I tell you MY news, please, please, please, take a moment and head over and visit Wise Guy.  She needs us.  She has lost her beautiful Lola, and was not even told for 6 days.  I am a weeping mess.  this is so, so sad. 

Well, ladies, I have a hell of a story for you. 

Yesterday afternoon I was feeling well enough to attempt a trip out and see how I did.  Colliwog and I were both craving a haircut, so we headed to the mall.  After haircut I was a bit nauseated (blood sugar) and having BH every 10 minutes or so.  Which wasn't too bad.  It happens and then goes away. 

We continued walking around, just checking out and drooling in a couple of stores, nothing hardcore.  Contractions started getting stronger, closer together (all of this happened in about an HOUR).  By the end of that hour, they were coming every 2-3 minutes.  So I called the doctor, who wanted me checked in L&D. 

Issue:  I drove.  Colliwog can't drive.  I seriously would have driven, but C basically vetoed that and had security called.  Let me tell you, nothing like a woman in pre-term labor to bring out the forces.  I swear there were something like 8 security guards in 3 different uniforms calling 3 different people.  With people gawking.  This is when I got worried.  And freaking out a bit.  So C is answering questions and I'm trying to be okay, and the ambulance comes.

At this point contractions have backed off to about 3-5 minute intervals, and we arrive and get ushered straight up to maternity triage.  I am promptly hooked up to fetal and uterine monitors.  Cricket thinks this whole thing is FUN and is kicking the crap out of the monitors.  Contractions are 3 minutes apart like clockwork at this point.  Hubby has not arrived yet.  I'm trying to call my mom and they're trying to do an internal.

Findings were that my cervix was 1 cm dilated.  Not too big of a deal.  Bigger deal?  Every time I contract my cervix funnels.  It shouldn't be doing that at this point.  No way.  So I get admitted, which is right about when Hubby shows up. 

So, they put me on Procardia to slow down the contractions (makes my head hurt, icky icky icky), and order steroids to help develop Cricket's lungs in case.  And do a swab for an fFN Test.  Until that I was not allowed food OR water.  Contractions responded to the meds, and began slowing down. 

Steroids went in, and the test came back NEGATIVE, which was the best news all day!  They let me eat, and then I FREAKED OUT.  Full panic finally set in and I shook and cried. 

Today the contractions are down to about 3-4 an hour on the meds, and not as strong, as long as I'm keeping fairly still.  My mom commented about how calm I've been.  Yeah...it's all outside.  I'm spazzed, but it is not going to help me to freak out.  Spoke with perinatology, and as long as my cervix has not dilated anymore I am sticking around for the 2nd steroid shot and going home tomorrow.  Still on the Procardia.  NOT on bedrest, but very limited.  No exercise, no lifting, no sex (or orgasm) until 35-36 weeks, if I make it that long.  We have another u/s with Peri next week and see how I'm doing.  The goal is to keep the contractions at 4 or fewer per hour, and I can still work.  At least, if my cervix is okay.  So I will update you when I know more, most likely tomorrow. 

Anyway, good news is Cricket is doing well with NST's and is not coming out, not yet.  Hopefully not soon.  I'm now High Risk, but my goal is to cook this kiddo as long as possible.  Fingers crossed.

Now for the survey.


WEEKLY UPDATE


How far along: 27 weeks 0 days. Cricket is the size of an cucumber! Approximately 15 inches, 2-2.5 lbs. The taste buds have formed.  3rd trimester begins! 


Total Weight Gain: I  was at around 141 lbs on Thursday at Dr. Family's office. 

Maternity clothes: Of course!
Sleep: In bed by 10:30 usually, not up until 8:30 or 9 most days. Insanity.

Movement: Yesterday morning I got kicked in the ribs way on the right side at the same time I got punched in the cervix.  Guess who's growing!
Cravings/Aversions: Cravings: I was sick most of the week, so nothing much this week.  Aversions: Red meat.

Sex: I'm no longer allowed...Cricket is still a secret!
Symptoms: Ahem, read above.
What I miss: Sleeping on my belly. As getting cozy gets more difficult, I miss that option more and more. But really? That's it :)

What I look forward to: Making it as long as possible so that maternity leave is spent with Cricket in the summer as opposed to in the NICU.
Moods: Overwhelmed, nervous, calm on the surface.
Milestones: Third trimester is cool! 
Medical Concerns: Hypothyroid, anxiety, migraines, bursitis, preterm labor, funneling cervix. Ready for the list? Syn.throid 50 mcg, Zo.loft 100 mg, Iron, D3, D2, B12, Vitamin C, Folic acid, stool softeners. Flexeril a bit longer, Tylenol 3 for the migraines, Procardia for preterm labor, 2 big steroid shots to mature Cricket's lungs.

Weekly Wisdom: Maintain a sense of humor or lose your mind. 
Best moment this week: Negative FFN test.

Worst moment this week:  Really?  I'd like to mulligan this week.  Absolute worst was freaking out in the mall and feeling like a circus sideshow f reak.

12 comments:

  1. How scary! Cricket, come on buddy, stay in there just a bit longer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scary day. Keep that baby cooking! And maybe wait to get your haircut again until after the baby is born (in 13 weeks)...probably no correlation between haircuts and babies, but just a thought! :) Thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad to hear things are settled down a bit for you after what was probably an overwhelming day. What a blessing to have a friend with you during this experience instead of being by yourself - how scary!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ugh! So sorry this happened, how scary. Relieved that everything is great and please kep us updated if anything else happens! Take care of you :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG! Please, let me know if I can do anything- drop a meal off or anything! I'd be happy to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yikes! Thank goodness for the negative fFn, and I hope cricket stays in there a good long time!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tell Cricket that as much as we want to see her cute little face, she needs to stay put! Glad to hear that things are calming down. I'll be sending thoughts your way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oy... okay Cricket, that's enough! Time to stay put and chill out!

    I hope and pray that this next week is a hell of a lot better for you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, how scary. You take it easy and tell Cricket to BEHAVE. Saying a prayer for you.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cricket, seriously, stay put for at least another two months! You hear me? And don't scare your poor mother any more!

    Hugs and kisses from Auntie Circus Princess :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Geez, This is way more excitement than necessary! That little cricket is going to be a trouble maker long into the future, i can just feel it!!! It sounds like you are holding it together like a rockstar - I am so impressed. But this is really scary, and I think that you totally have permission to fall apart as much as you need to. I wish that I could bring you some dinner this week, Do you have a favorite restaurant near your house? Maybe I could order you some takeout... Please let us know if there is anything at all we can do to make this easier for you.
    Much love! - foxy

    ReplyDelete

Whip me, beat me, take away my charge card. Or just leave a comment. Whichever works best for you :)