Tuesday, October 26, 2010

This Is Not How Imagined My Pregnancy

Saturday I felt GREAT all day. No vomit, migraine at a minimum, great mood. It was a rough 2nd half of the day...angry customers galore. By 9pm, the migraine (it is going to need a name soon!) Was spiking badly. I made it the rest of my shift and went home to bed.

Sleep barely happened. Migraine stayed. On the pain scale, I left for work at about a 6, having thrown up multiple times already. We were off the phones first part of the shift, me still vomiting. Got on the phones, and within 5 minutes being in front of the computer with a headset on I was vomiting fluids into the trash every few minutes. After half an hour I had to get someone to take over my call.

I called the on-call OB number, and no surprise, was told to go to the ER. I had to wait for Hubby, so I just curled up in a bathroom stall. Finally got to the ER, waited an hour for a bed, and then about 90 more minutes for actual meds. Morphine, the usual. But this time all it did was make me loopy, migraine be damned.

I pretty much told them that I wasn't going anywhere without a plan, so they admitted me, and I think I had a room around 8:30.

No more pain meds, just fluids. NPO, meaning no food or water. I had to fight until the middle of the night for ice chips. I saw umpteen doctors, and bonus: Hubby saw Cricket in the ER and they checked her hb again on the floor, right where I said she would be, way on the left. (Oh! Are you feeling movement? No, I have bursitis in my left hip, so I know when she's over there.)

So, umpteen doctors and almost no sleep. I did see the neurologist (Dr. Head from now on) who I am supposed to see Thursday. He double-checked my bloodwork (and man i have some awesome bruises from all the needles), and I know the following: NOT dehydrated, all vitamin levels he wanted checked (B12, iron, Vitamin D) perfectly normal. That basically killed all of his theories. He is waiting for the results to be sent over from the CT I had in February. At least I am pretty sure I had one then...I had a concussion at the time, so the memory is a little fuzzy.

Migraine has stayed at a 6-10 consistently since Saturday night. I was released yesterday around 4 because, well, they can't do a DAMN thing for me. All meds are unsafe for Cricket. My Zo.loft is being upped because it MAY help.

Here is the kicker. I cannot return to work, indefinitely. We are starting with 2 weeks off and seeing if I improve. One of the doctors said there is a chance I may be out for the duration...

I cried. Now, I don't like my job, not even remotely, but we can't have me unpaid. I am essentially out of FMLA. I will be talking to HR and the leave administrators today, hoping I can draw disability, though if memory serves correctly, there is a 1 week hold time.

So, while it's not bed rest, given that I can barely move without triggering a spike in the gremlin in my head, it might as well be. My DH has banned me from cleaning, cooking, etc, for AT LEAST the next 2 weeks.

I spent how much time hoping to be pregnant??? I always thought I would be all happy and glowy, and instead I am so sick I can't work. To say I am upset and frustrated and scared is an understatement. The only good part is that Cricket is doing well, and I really can't ask for more, right?

OB today, Dr. Head Thursday. I will let you know what is next in the lineup.

Oh, and for those of you wondering, the thing near my belly button in the pic the other day is the injection site for Pancho, and his tubing.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.3

19 comments:

  1. No, that's pregnancy. For me with babe it was the single most painful thing I've ever put my body through and I tell people that, I don't sugar coat it. But its worth it, so worth it. I laugh now. All the folks who come up to me and say they want twins, I ask them if they've ever been pregnant because its times 2, the pain, nausea, everything, but twice as worth it. The only saving grace is the due date and the babe at the end. So, I take each day one at a time and don't think ahead because as you might of guessed, my hormones x2.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch, you poor thing! I hope the gremlin turns into the nicer fluffier variety soon, or better yet, completely goes away.

    Sending lots of hugs and kisses your way!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ack!!! That just sounds so horrible. I'm so sorry you're having to go through all of that. I really hope something gets better at some point. Hormone levels change or something. This is just horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so sorry you are having such a rough time of it. My migraines were so much worse during pregnancy (but nowhere near what you are dealing with) so you have my sympathy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You poor devil (like a nurse said to me on my second ectopic!) you must feel awful! But I know another cyber friend who had the same awful experience while pregnant with twins and now that she has them home she says she would do it all over! So be strong, think of the reward at the end of the line. Nobody likes to be sick and you are entitled to rant about it. Of course this is not what you were hoping for your pregnancy and you really didn't have a choice so we are all here to support you in this difficult time. Much love and gentle hugs (and a massive kick in the ass to the gremlin) Fran

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, that sounds really tough. We never really know how it will hit us until we are there I guess? I hope it gets better soon, I also would be worried about $ in your situation. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It sounds like you are really being pulled through the ringer. I'm so sorry to hear you are in pain. I hope your HR people can work something out for you! I'll be thinking about you and hoping for the best!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am so glad Cricket is doing well through all of this. My gosh though! I hope your company has some type of short or long term disability plan you can tap into. I really hope your doctors figure this out soon. Best wishes, and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ugh! I am so sorry that the migraine gremlin just won't leave you be! Sending prayers and good thoughts for improved health for you... and continued strong growth for the cricket. Hoping that the doctors will come up with something to help get you through!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very very sorry to hear all this. I can't believe how rough this has been. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and hope there's some serenity. I'm tortured by migraines too so I can empathize with you on that one. Take it easy deary.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow...migraines...so sorry you are experiencing that! That has to be horrible. I hope rest and the 2 weeks off of work do the trick for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh no. I am so sorry to read about this. I'm thinking of you and hoping that things get better soon. This is not good. Please take it easy and keep us posted.

    Love you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I vote for nuking the Gremlin. I'm so sorry that you are feeling like death and also worried about work. You know that I'm all too familiar with pregnancy not going as expected. Pin up a picture of Cricket by wherever you are resting and just keep focusing on her. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry you are going through all of this...I had to draw my ST and LT Disability....Because my Dr's had me off from the get go due to my high risk nature and my job is an occupational therapy assistant at a nursing home so I would have had to be on my feet alot and lifting...etc....But I will tell you I hope you have better luck with the disability company than I did....It took them 11wks to make a decision on my LTD I had to pretty much threaten a lawyer...It was insane...and so shitty process...I hope you have better luck:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I hope you feel better soon girlie! Have you tried some caffeine? I know that preggos try to decrease their intake but if a cup of coffee would help your headache I think the very tiny microscopic risk it entails would be worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh I am SO sorry!! I hope things start to even out a bit so that you can at least enjoy your pregnancy.... for a minute! Sending you hugs! By the way, have you tried meditation to relieve the "madness" in your body?

    ReplyDelete
  17. You poor thing...I'll leave the exclamation points off as to not excite the gremlin. I'm so happy that Cricket is doing great though. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww poor you. Sounds awful. Hope it gets better soon. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. As a very frequent BAD migraine sufferer I read this post filled with sympathy and nodding my head in total understanding of what you're feeling and going through.

    I always imagine/d that any pregnancy I can manage to carry full term will be blissful and have me all glowing BUT I think it will be alot like yours, not fun to endure BUT worth it in the end!

    xxx

    ReplyDelete

Whip me, beat me, take away my charge card. Or just leave a comment. Whichever works best for you :)