Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Holiday Hangover

Holidays, especially Christmas, remind me of weddings.


*insert Tim Allen sound here*

Okay, okay, it sounds weird. But hear me out.

We spend MONTHS preparing for Christmas/Hannukah/what-have-you. There is the hype, the preparation, the shopping, the secrets, the anticipation, the last minute mad dash to get everything finished and not totally melt down.

And then the day arrives. Relief. Excitement. Joy times infinity. Chaos, drunk relatives, cranky overstimulated children, and more food than you can shake a stick at.

There is this absolute weariness as the day comes to a close. A thought that OMG we survived, now can I just crawl into bed? The next day holiday "hangover". Whether you drank or not, a bus still ran you over. And then you look around at all the clean up to be done...and think..."Where the fuck is Mary Poppins when you need her?"

How the hell can I fit all this stuff into my house? The honeymoon, it is OVER folks. I need to put away things that are no longer used and set up P's room to be more play friendly, and wash all of the used toys we have so they are nice and sanitary for oh, 30 seconds.

But seriously, I am experiencing some serious "back to life, back to reality" letdown over the fact that this holiday is all of a sudden behind us. All that build up, and all of a sudden, in the blink of an eye, it is gone.

Time flies, right? And right now, it is galloping toward another year, more growth and change, and with any luck, good things for all of us.

1 comment:

  1. Jellybean's crib is now in our bedroom. Not because I wanted to encourage him sleeping in there til he's 30. Its because I couldn't fit the train table he got in his room along with the crib. There are also 8945964968 toys to fit in there. Then his birthday presents. I could open up a day care right now. Or a children's play lounge.

    Its ridiculous. Tell P to come play. If he can find us under all the crap.

    ReplyDelete

Whip me, beat me, take away my charge card. Or just leave a comment. Whichever works best for you :)