Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Hostage

When you become pregnant, or a mother without the pregnancy part, your life is no longer your own.  Neither, it should be mentioned, is your body.  It's like Stockholm Syndrome.  You have become a hostage, but you learn to love, if not immediately then relatively quickly, the being, the bunch of cells, the child, that has taken you hostage.  You are, however, still a hostage, LOL.

Not all captors are created equal.  And I'm wondering how my body will adapt to being hostage to 2 captors.

I have a specific example.  For as long as I can remember, if I am sleeping when P is sleeping, I wake up a few minutes before he does.  Every time.  Even if he awakes in the middle of the night.  I just KNOW.  My body knows.  What happens when captor #2 is here???  The thought baffles.

Back to the not equal thing...

This pregnancy is radically different from P's.  So much so that I was convinced I was losing the baby just a few days ago.  NT scan yesterday, however, showed just the opposite :-)  Grasshopper is ahead of schedule, and quite a wiggle worm.  Gah!  Tangent.  Okay, below, the differences!

  • With P I threw up nonstop for what, 6 months?  This time it's utterly random, and not bad at all.  (Thank goodness!)
  • I can't eat just anything I want anymore.  With P I could handle just about anything.  This time, bring on the bland, and NO MEAT!!!  Bad, bad idea.  No garlic.  No onion.  Oy.  The sweet tooth remains, however.
  • I am EXHAUSTED.  Not like, oh, I need a nap exhausted.  I mean please let me sleep for 24 hours tired.  It's getting better.  But I can't remember a time in my life - maybe when I had mono - when the exhaustion was so complete.  At one point I was zonked 15-16 hours a day.  For real.  Unfortunately my old friend insomnia is here.  God, what a horrid combination.
  • I was a sex fiend last time, some of you may remember.  This time as well...as long as it's me and batteries.  Those who try to touch me beware.  I may punch you.  I don't want to be touched, kissed, hugged...period.  Back off.  This is sacred ground, yo.  Bummer, given the sensitivity of the lady bits!  Maybe I will come around.
These are the big things I can think of.  My body is not my own.  It may never be again.  And I wouldn't change it for the world :-)  I am completely in love with my captors.  They can keep me hostage.  I can deal with it.

Captor #1 in his brand new snow gear from Grandma Sue in our first snow
yesterday.  He waddled like a drunk midget.  

Captor #2 yesterday.  12 weeks and looking good.  6 more days and we are in
the 2nd trimester!  Woot!



2 comments:

  1. To answer your question on sleep: you will be so exhausted, you will be able to snooze five minutes while standing and waving. Really. I am not saying that the pregnancy exhaustion is not real, but it is different. But then, your body learns how to cope with so much less sleep than you have ever imagined. It doesn't like it, not one little bit, but it does cope. You will survive. :-)
    P is looking great. And so does P2. Let's call him Pete, short for P2. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. how did i miss this? huge congrats mama!

    ReplyDelete

Whip me, beat me, take away my charge card. Or just leave a comment. Whichever works best for you :)